Saturday, August 29, 2015

My Miniatures Come Full Circle

Way back in the 90's, after having found and re-joined the Tucson Miniature Society, I started making miniature animals.  I chose the animals of the southwest desert, and since we have hummingbirds year round in Tucson, I chose to try and replicate them in 1:12th scale.  It was a challenge, but also a lot of fun!  I also worked on creating other birds and animals familiar to my desert home.  People began asking me to sell the birds, and soon I had orders coming in.
This was my first print feature for miniatures -
Dollhouse Miniatures magazine 1998

After a year or so, I also had a dealer in New York representing my work.   Her contacts requested all sorts of animals, so I branched out in to creating many other types of animals.  I set a goal for myself; to become an Artisan and then Fellow member of the IGMA (International Guild of Miniature Artisans) in the category of animal figures, and achieved that goal in 2001.  I really enjoyed the work, and put a lot of love in to each tiny creature I crafted, but also began to branch out into other areas of miniature making.  My husband and I began to create animated miniatures and I started working on expanding my skill set to include metal work, carving, etc.  After a while, I stopped making little animals and went on to other mini creations.

Last month, I got a special request from a customer who had seen my hummingbirds and was working on creating a special garden scene for her mom.  Who could turn that down?  I knew I still had a few finished birds and a few "blanks" (when I was producing more hummingbirds, I would carve the bodies in different sizes and leave them attached to the wood block for further work, since they weren't a specific species yet, I referred to them as blanks).

I pulled out the box with the hummingbird making supplies in it and set to work.  I actually ended up making 2 from scratch because one of the birds she wanted was a large one, and the other one wasn't carved in the position I wanted it to be.  I enjoyed it so much, I wanted to make more!  Alas, I don't have time.....but don't be surprised if the hummingbirds return some day!

Here are her little birds, ready to be sent to their new home.
from left to right - 1:12th scale broad-billed, Anna's, blue-throated, Costa's, and ruby-throated hummingbirds


No comments:

Post a Comment