Saturday, August 29, 2015

Getting Back to Where I Once Belonged!

Things have been pretty busy here - my husband will be retiring in a few months and we are trying to get ready to move back to Tucson, Arizona.   I am a second-generation native of Tucson.  My grandparents settled there in the 1930's, and my mother, her two sisters and 4 brothers did a pretty fair job of adding to the population throughout the years.

Ten years ago, when Steve got a job at Los Alamos National Laboratory, we moved to New Mexico (it was only supposed to be a five year stint....at least that is all I agreed to, but, that is a story too long to tell).  I have missed my home so much, but at this point I'm also thinking about how it is going to be upon my return.  In the last ten years not only have both of my parents passed away, but most of my aunts and uncles and some of my friends are also gone.  I think part of me will have a very hard time getting used to Tucson without those people in it, it seems like there is already large parts of my home town missing.   I still do have many family members there though, and some I haven't met yet. I'm looking forward to getting re-acquainted with the ones I have missed and haven't seen much of - expect some dinner party invitations cousins!  Looking forward to visiting and hugging the many friends I haven't seen over the years also, some have been friends for more than 40 years!

Thankfully, I have been able to see my kids and GRANDkids "fairly often" though of course not nearly as much as I would have liked, and getting to hang out with them full-time will be the greatest joy of going home.

I've missed "my" mountains, cactus wrens, saguaros, monsoons, and so much more.  Tucson, my beautiful sunshiny desert---- I'll be home soon!




 

1 comment:

  1. Tori, we're going to be so glad to have you back in Arizona where you belong! - Pat R

    ReplyDelete