Friday, March 6, 2015

Crayon Art Heats Up!

This month my Creative Paperclay® Design Team project is all about using the clay, crayons, and a heat gun to create one-of-a-kind pieces of jewelry.


I first tried melting crayons onto Creative Paperclay® when I wanted to make a latex mold of a clay object I had carved.  I needed to seal the clay, and had crayons and a heat gun on hand, so it seemed like a good idea at the time.  I discovered that the added bonus of using that method for sealing the form was that by using a dark colored wax I could tell if I missed any areas.

It wasn't until recently that I re-visited the technique, and decided to try melted crayons to create works of art.  It's a hot craft on the internet right now, though in most projects a hair dryer is used and the crayons themselves become part of the project.  Directions for my jewelry project are on the Creative Paperclay® blog  I've included a link for my first how-to video on my new(ish) YouTube channel!  I've had the account for a while, but never put anything on it.  Hoping to learn more about that and add more videos soon.

Here in the studio, I've also been trying the technique on other sculpted pieces, which I plan to use as pins.  Here's my favorite so far -



and here are a few other pieces



No comments:

Post a Comment